Sunday, July 1, 2012

Geocaching Fail

As you may recall, a few weeks ago I did an article on Geocaching. I was so excited to start. I downloaded the application to my I Phone and looked for some sites in the area. I picked some that were listed as easy and right off the road. I told my kids that we were going treasure hunting.
Wow, this was an epic fail. We went to the first one and looked and looked and looked. It was a parking lot and the security people from the establishment came out to ask what we were doing. So, we moved on to the second one. Once again - nothing. At this point we were hot, thirsty, and whiny.
So, I tried one more. I put the baby into the Jeep stroller and we walked into a dirt field full of rocks. (Note to self: don't wear flip flops while Geocaching.) This one was a little more exciting because it was supposed to be a larger cache nestled amongst some rocks. My middle son embraced this and looked at it as an adventure. My oldest, not so much. He has Asperer's Syndrome and the dirt, heat, and lack of results did nothing for him. It was at this point that I decided to take them home.
Once home, I asked myself, "What am I doing wrong?" I then did a little research on the internet. Apparently, GPS signals can be up to 20 feet off. Therefore, when using the GPS, broaden your search. Also, there are hints available on the app. Wish I had seen that. Finally, you can look at the photos that others have posted to get an idea of what you are looking for. I also would recommend that when you plan your day, treat it as though you are going hiking; wear appropriate clothing and bring snacks & drinks.

1 comment:

  1. oh poor things. I've heard of this and have cousins that have done it. Was never sure of doing it with my kids. May try it this upcoming school year, I hear we have a few locations out here.

    ReplyDelete